Thursday 21 February 2013

What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?

What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?



Throughout the project I have used a variety of equipment and programs in order to create my magazine cover, above is a variety of tools that enabled me to create my product.
1. This is my camera (Sony a330), which was used to capture all of the images for each product. I used a portrait lens to create crisp photographs and to heighten the quality. From using a DSLR, as opposed to a point and shoot, I have learnt that increased quality can be attained via the use of a DSLR; this was further implied via the use of the portrait lens.
2a. This is the tripod I used for some of my photographs; this was used in order to prevent blur of the photograph whilst it was being taken. I wanted my photographs to possess the highest quality, as in the industry the slightest flaw could be detrimental to the overall feel of the magazine. Using the tripod made me come to a realisation of its importance- how definite rising of quality can be possessed simply by the use of a stabiliser (the tripod). 
2b. This was one of three of my own light-heads I used in order to create 3 point lighting. They all used tripods to stablise them; I used a wireless sync in order for the light-heads to expose at the same time as the shutter. In order to attain good quality, I had to set my camera to complete manual mode and constantly adjust both the shutter speed and aperture in order for the exact amount of light to enter the camera to create a perfectly lit photograph. Using light-heads, especially in the 3-point layout has taught me the importance of lighting, and how different uses can lead to different moods/visuals.
2c. This was one of many light adjustments to create different moods for the photograph. In the image above it denotes a silver umbrella in which softens the light as opposed to direct use of the light head, yet still creates a slightly harsher light. However, within my photoshoot I also experimented with soft boxes, honeycomb covers as well as coloured gels. I have learnt that the use of light attachment can deeply reform a photograph, an example is in the double-page spread images, where harsh shadowing can be denoted; this was created using a silver umbrella in close proximity to the subject.
3a. My laptop, as well as the computers on offer at college were the most important contributor to my product. It allowed research to be produced, photographs to be edited and most obviously my product to be produced. I used Photoshop mainly and over the course of the project I have learnt many elements to do with Photoshop. I have gained the skills of creating interesting type faces, as well as enhancing my photographs.
3c. This is my Wacom graphics tablet; this allowed precision when editing my photographs as well as accurate placement of each element within my products. I have learnt that attention to detail is important when creating a magazine as upper-class as my own product, therefore using tools such as a tablet could only heighten the quality attained.

Photoshop techniques

The gradient effect
During the creation of my products I had came across a variety of problematic circumstances. However, I overcame them via teaching myself techniques in Photoshop in order to no longer have an issue. In the above image it shows the steps of how I made my text more visible due to the close resemblance of colour:
1. I made a selection box using the 'Rectangular Marquee Tool'.
2. With the selection still selected I created a navy gradient, ensuring that I had 'colour to transparent' option selected.
3. I then simply added my text
Final. This is how it actually appeared on my cover, showing the toning down the the light skin in a subtle manner.
Disadvantages of this technique would be a slightly tacky feel if not done in a very subtle manner; however, I believe on my cover it was done in a way that improved the quality of the overall cover.
Text wrap
For this technique, I learnt how to wrap text on Photoshop:
1. First I created two identical boxes that act as columns for my text. I used the rectangle tool and set it to the 'path' option and then drew the two boxes.
2. I then added the text by selecting the type tool and simply clicked within the paths.
3. I reselected the rectangle tool, making sure it was set to path but also 'subtract front shape', I then made sure I selected the path I wanted to subtract in the path panel and then drew the area I wanted to 'delete'
4. I did this to the opposite column then simply added my pull quote.
Final. Here is how this technique was addressed in my actual product; I didn't use this method just for pull quotes, I also used it for images and the drop capital.
With this technique there are some downsides; this would include the fact that re-editing the text could be time consuming, as all the subtracted areas would have to be filled again then added after the text adjustment. However, I believe this is better than using the 'spacing' technique (simply using the space bar to create space) as it comes with more complications; for example, when re-editing the text you have to delete all the spaces and before rewriting the text. This could be considered as even more time consuming.

Web spaces


In regards to web spaces, they played a major role during this project. To begin with, Blogger was used to host all my work. However, during the time my project was being formed Copyright infringement was being heavily investigated amongst the internet, therefore the blog had to be turned to private; this is due to the multiple use of images for analysis, research etc. This could be defined as a supposed disadvantage using an online database to store my work, as it comes with all types of legal complications as opposed to paper based working. However in saying that, using an online database restricted time consumption heavily and could also be deemed as eco-friendly, as not masses of paper or materialistic resources had to be used.
I also used flickr to upload analyses, it allowed quick and direct annotation to be attained, preventing nasty use of arrows and messy presentation to be possessed. Again, a disadvantage of Flickr is its legal obligations however, also the prevention of long/detailed analysis due to the constriction of space.

1 comment:

  1. Great answer and lots of details. Well done. For redrafting I would think about presentation again a little as the text is pretty dense. Cross heads might help? Or playing with the text sizes and layout?

    ReplyDelete