Thursday 3 January 2013

Double Page Spread Draft Article


Libby Mawford, porcelain complexion, slender and shockingly gorgeous eyes, is dressed in a casual studded denim jacket, Nastygal.com lace up booties, tights and a simple white dress. “If I wasn’t a performer, I’d definitely go into fashion- it’s so artistically demanding- definitely my forte!” she exclaims whilst fixing a wondering wisp of fair hair. Mawford begins to giggle as she says, “This is the only thing on my agenda today, I’ve basically only just got up!”
We all expected Mawford to be a sweet soulful lady, even with her multiple award winning albums and rocketing success. But did we expect such purity, such unpretentiousness from a beautiful vintage inspired indie singer? Well yes, I think we did! Her music leaks with intense references to her family life portrayed in a classic, sophisticated manner; entwined with the deliciousness of modern-day acoustic guitar. Her music is merely a reflection of her own persona- a sweet symphony of delight.
But not all is pitch-perfect for Mawford, just like you and me she has had her highs and lows, even at her tender age of seventeen. She reveals all, exclusively to us at Triangle “I had a hard childhood; my mother was absent most of the time,” Mawford takes a sip of water before continuing “Consumed by the devastations of alcoholism. “ Simply enthused in her pure British accent and elocution, it is a delight to be sat here listening to the unfolding of Mawford. “I realised she was no longer present at the age of 8, and that’s when I began busking” she opens her charity shoulder bag and reaches for a photograph “This is a newspaper clipping of me- on the streets- with my guitar!” It’s truly impressive how such a young girl had the incentive to strive towards a better future- an incentive that lead to the birth of one of Indie’s greatest stars- we at Triangle are definitely not complaining!
Mawford’s Grammy-award winning EP The emptier the bottle, the drier the mouth includes explicit detail of the terrors of her childhood through cunning metaphor and analogies. “I didn’t want the contexts of my songs to be too obvious; I just wanted to turn the ugly into the beautiful and for those to enjoy my music” One particular song that grabbed my attention of the Triangle office is Lullaby. Leaking with irony and contradiction, the song begins with a gentle beat and interesting melody. Mawford uses a falsetto to depict the pains of her past; heavily describing the times she was constantly beaten, metaphorically described as a Lullaby. “I like the use of irony” she begins “It’s a good way of portraying a negative in a positive light, with a slight dry humour to its connotation” even with the pessimism in her life, Mawford is able to steer her downfalls into something of beauty.
Mawford is heading towards better things; being the cover of Triangle is just one (it had to be put in there somewhere). A world tour including America, Australia and Japan is just the smallest of her successes. “I reformed my bad past into a good future” she says before the end of the interview. And I must say, what a way to end it. We all love Mawford, and we all adore her music.  – Emma Marsden-Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment